Much was accomplished during 2014…
What activities were a part of Mattie’s Foundation in 2014?
- Here is a PARTIAL LIST highlighting some of our activities and programs for 2014 (see photo collages below on this page):
- We began with the theme —
“Peace is possible… choose peace!”
——– and then…
- We supported individuals, families, schools, and communities in personal journeys to Peace Certification;
- We launched a new free introductory level of our Pathways to Peace Peace Certification Program — the Peace Activity Certificate;
- We engaged global neighbors in our spring/summer outreach activity — the annual Make Peace the News campaign;
- We celebrated “Mattie’s Peace Day” as declared by the City of Rockville, Maryland to occur on Mattie’s birthday (July 17).
- We secured 7,500+ signatures (so far) for our national Peace Day Petition, and secured the commitment of a growing number of politicians and communities for this effort;
- We worked with global neighbors in more than 30 countries who shared peace expressions for our fall/winter outreach activity — Mattie’s Peace Tree 2014;
- We began work on a peace documentary rooted in Mattie’s life, mission, and message of hope and peace;
- We worked with the National Catholic Partnership for Disability to host a Mass and reception commemorating Mattie’s 10 year anniversary;
- We hosted a Peace Gathering in Mattie’s Park during which global neighbors celebrated Mattie’s 24th birthday with cake and conversation, and music and mosaic activities;
- We unveiled a Peace Pole in Mattie’s Peace Garden, donated by Japanese peace activist Yuka Saionji Matsuura whose grandfather launched the “May peace prevail on earth…” peace pole project at the end of World War II;
- We installed 35 more personalized gift bricks in Mattie’s Peace Garden, sponsored by supporters of Mattie’s Foundation;
- We created more inspirational videos and materials sharing Mattie’s peace poetry;
- We collaborated with the We Are Family Foundation on the 2014 Just Peace Summit during which 30 new Global Teen Leaders learned about Mattie’s peace message and amplified their peace projects tending to basic human needs;
- We supported Children’s Hospice International in their re-introduction of the Mattie & Melinda Bill into Congress, and on the 25th anniversary of the CHI/United Airlines Fantasy Flight (where Mattie used to volunteer as the Head Elf);
- We networked with the Rosalynn Carter Institute to select the recipients of the 10th annual Mattie J.T. Stepanek Caregiving Scholarships;
- We worked with the IAFF and MDA on efforts that included that annual softball tournament with international firefighters (with “Mattie’s Boys” from Yonkers and Greenburgh, New York and Mississauga, Canada);
- We supported the work of the Mattie J.T. Stepanek Guild — a committee of people in the Catholic church gathering information for Mattie’s possible Cause for Canonization (Sainthood);
- We celebrated awards given in Mattie’s honor — like WAFF’s annual Mattie Peacemaker Award (Emmanuel Jal was this year’s recipient) and the annual Spirit of Mattie youth science fair awards;
- We celebrated awards that honored Mattie or his Foundation — like a local CCHD grant, IFLAC’s Dove of Peace Award, and My Hero’s Service Recognition;
- We celebrated fundraisers that supported the work of Mattie’s Foundation — like Peace Club Tween Sadie’s “Fundraiser for Peace” and Michael Volpicelli’s “Voices of Compassion” project which included a Mattie art sketch created using only words from Mattie’s poetry and speeches;
- We shared peace presentations and peace chats (in person or by Skype) with youth, schools, and groups making a commitment to peace, and to learning more about Mattie’s “Three Choices for Peace” and “attitude to action” peace guidelines;
- We celebrated art, poetry, and peace posts from our Peace Club Kids, Peace Club Tweens, and Peace Club Teens;
- We celebrated the peace journeys of our certified communities, including the Peace Quilts created by Ingleside at King Farm retirement community, the Peace Books/Peace Poetry at Morningside Elementary School, and the Peace Climate/Peace Ambassadors at Pangborn Elementary School,
- We mentored teens and tweens in peace awareness and Peace Certificate activities;
- We featured Peace Spotlights on individuals and groups who seek, make, bring, and sponsor peace for our world; and,
- We created more and more activities and materials for global neighbors to further our mission of spreading Mattie’s message of hope and peace…
(CLICK HERE to visit our WHAT WE DO webpage for more)!
What was the cost of activities to participants in 2014?
MOST OF OUR ACTIVITIES WERE OFFERED
AT NO COST TO PARTICIPANTS
- Most of our activities and programs are offered at no charge to participants;
- We request a donation to cover the cost of materials and services for our Peace Certification participants, and we request a donation from adult members of our Peace Clubs;
- We are able to provide these activities and materials to our global neighbors — people of diverse ages and abilities, faiths and nationalities – because of the generous support of people like YOU!
We accomplished much,
but much more still needs to be accomplished,
for peace, and for our world.
And we need YOU to help us, please…
We are a volunteer-based non-profit,
and we rely on donations from people like you.
- Become a Peace Champion — CLICK HERE to make a tax deductible donation of ANY AMOUNT to support our mission and activities;
- Become a Peace Club Member — CLICK HERE to join as a General ($25) or VIP ($100) member;
- Sponsor a Peace Club Teen — CLICK HERE to participate in a supported peace journey ($18) through Mattie’s Three Choices for Peace;
- Sponsor a personalized gift brick in Mattie’s Peace Garden ($199) — CLICK HERE;
- Register a youth age birth through 12 for our FREE — Peace Club Kids & Tween programs HERE;
- Participate in our “Mattie’s 2015 Birthday Campaign — $25 for Mattie’s 25th birthday”;
- Make a purchase in our Peace Shop — we have books and posters, inspiration cards and wristbands, t-shirts and pencils, and more — CLICK HERE:
- Explore our website and participate in our activities throughout the coming year!
Peace is possible… choose peace!
Mattie’s Foundation through the seasons in 2014
Click on images to enlarge…