THREE STEP PROCESS: Reflect, Respond, Reach Out
REFLECT: Mattie’s life was filled with challenges, yet he embraced resilience, and said “Yes!” to people and to peace, ever-encouraged by his personal philosophy – “Remember to play after every storm!
- What “storms” are we (individuals, families, our world) dealing with today?
- How can choosing to “play” help bring peace to people and to communities?
RESPOND: Mattie said that a Heartsong is “our reason for being” and a root of our purpose and identity, and he encouraged us to share and celebrate our individual and collective Heartsongs through talents, hobbies, and simple expressions & activities.
- What matters to you (individual, family, community) that brings peace to oneself/others
- How do you enjoy expressing yourself (art, poetry, dance, sports, photography, etc)?
REACH OUT: Mattie’s messages of peace remind us that “hope is real.” We cannot always choose our feelings or all that happens in the world, but we can choose our attitudes and actions, and we can express our Heartsongs in ways that create & cultivate peace.
- Share YOUR expression(s) of Mattie’s “play after every storm!” message in some way.
- Send us your art, poetry, short essays, photos, videos, & other creative expressions.
- We will share your Heartsongs on our website so that together, we bring hope and peace to others, and celebrate life and the important matter of playing after storms.
- May/June – Entries will be posted to website; honoree selection begins.
Honoree selection will be made by an international team of reviewers.
Selections will be based on creativity and expression of the theme.
One random honoree drawing in each category will also be made.
- June/July – Honorees invited to share photos/videos for our FB Live ceremony.
- July 25 – Pre-recorded Peace Days & Heartsongs Ceremony streams via FB/YouTube.
- July/August – Peace Activity Certificates & awards sent to honorees.
Prizes include Mattie books, Peace Days t-shirts, #MattiesMessage cards, Mattie quote posters by artist Ed Heck, and more…